Sexual Misconduct In Our Schools
American schools are facings a widespread problem, that of sexual misconduct. Not only is this by the teachers who are overseeing our children on a daily basis, but by other students.
As yet there is no way to keep offending teachers out of the schools, and how can there be. Only when sexual abuse is reported by the targeted children can anything be done. As an abuse has to be proven, many cases go without justice.
In most cases the abuse never gets reported. The internal system of blocking and moving and denial is similar in many ways to the catholic church situation. Whilst in the past 40 years, about 4% of priests in the catholic church in the US were accused of sexual misconduct with children, in schools, the known reported incidences number about 0.08%. Also, 90% of all school sex abuse cases are perpetrated by men. Which still leaves 10% by female teachers.
Chronic under reporting and hidden cases indicate that the numbers shown are dangerously skewed to the low side. Why would catholic priests be 50 times more likely to molest children than teachers? Especially since teachers have more access to both sexes of children unlike many priests.
Often, girls who accuse their teachers of such things are labeled as sluts and whores by not only her classmates, but also other teachers and even principles. For a child of 12, this is something that is intolerable and the social stigma of just one in an area would prevent many others from reporting such events.
The abuse of abuse victims by the social groupings and school system is endemic and dangerous for our children. The courts have decided in several cases that the school system is not responsible for the safety of our children.
Under these conditions, it is no wonder that such savage under reporting is occurring. The catholic church has been bombarded by accusations and has been the butt of "alter boy" jokes for decades and yet it is only recently that the extent of the problem has become readily apparent.
The school system is still decades away from such an opening up and since it is a required part of the governmental system, it is likely that the full extent will never be known.
Most estimates indicate that there is at least one abuser in each school district. If the numbers are close to that of the catholic church priests, then one in every 25 teachers is an abuser. Which means that in every school in the US, there is likely to be a teacher who sexually abuses the young ones under their care.- P
Whilst sexual abuse is prevalent in our schools, there will be a few who will be accused, but not guilty of this crime. It is of course up to the courts to decide this and up to the individual to hire a good lawyer to defend their case.
You may find this article interesting reading - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/21/AR2007102100144.html